Starting in April 2020 and for a year The West Pier Trust has nominated me as their Artist in Residence. A brand new position within the West Pier Trust. With it the West Pier Turst strengthens its cultural offer in the contemporary art scene.
I first got involved with the West Pier in September 2019 where I held an art exhibition in their premises. As it happened, the experience was so positive that we discussed how to possibly continue my involvement with the West Pier. This this is how the residency started.
West Pier Trust
The West Pier Trust, created in 1978, is a charity and limited company that owns the West Pier site. Originally its purpose was to rebuild the West Pier, though after the devastating fires the pier became damaged beyond repair, and the restoration not possible. The Trust looks at the present, it is the landlord of the I360. The I360 has become the new contemporary landmark in Brighton.
For the future the Trust has the project to renovate and reinstate one of the original kiosk that then will stand for the community as a permanent memory of Britain’s most celebrated and Beautiful Pier.
Brighton’s West Pier
‘All the Fun of the fair!’
The West Pier is a unique seaside pier. Construction of this classic pleasure pier started in 1866. A jewel in Victorian engineering with innovative tetchiness from the industrial revolution. It was richly decorated with dolphins, shields, urns and garlands. On the deck you could see oriental minarets, intricate lace cast iron works for balustrades and seats, serpent lamp post and many other fanciful images. The West Pier became a symbol of Brighton. Gradually new elements were added to it: screens, kiosks, even a theatre to become the most lavish pier in Brighton.
Artist Resident work
My work with the West Pier trust involves opening the West Pier Centre one day a week to welcome visitors and create artwork under the theme of the West Pier. It is remarkable to hear many visitors at the West Pier Centre relating their memories of enjoying days in the sun promenading on the deck of the West Pier.
West Pier art
Below you can see a series of my art prints that show the West Pier. Many of these I have created during my residency. It has been a very prolific period.
- Hove Brighton Beach Promenade Antique Blue and Ochre£192.00
- Brighton West Pier and Rampion Wind Farm Gold Sea£40.00 – £310.00
- West Pier Cormorants Antique Ochre and Blue£40.00 – £310.00
- Two Swimmers by the West Pier£40.00 – £180.00
- The Barbeque on Brighton Beach. The two Roberts.£40.00 – £310.00
- West Pier Rampion Wind Farm Antique Ochre and Blue£192.00
- Hove Brighton Promenade Pebble Beach£192.00
- I360, Palace Pier, The Bandstand and West Pier Pebble Beach£192.00
- I360, Palace Pier, The Bandstand and West Pier Ocean Blue£192.00
- West Pier Rampion Wind Farm Eventide£192.00
- Brighton and Hove Seafront Ocean Blue£192.00
- Brighton West Pier Night Sea£40.00 – £310.00
- West Pier Cormorants£40.00 – £310.00
- Padbleboarding on Brighton Beach£40.00 – £52.00
- The Bather by the West Pier£40.00 – £52.00
- Diving into the Sea£40.00 – £180.00
- Winter Swim with a Woolly Hat£40.00 – £52.00
- The Bather and the Cormorant£40.00 – £180.00
- A dance at the Bandstand£40.00 – £183.00
- The Diving Cormorant under the West Pier£40.00 – £180.00
- Hove Brighton Promenade Silver£192.00
- The Starling at Pavilion Gardens£40.00 – £52.00
- The Cormorant and the West Pier£40.00 – £52.00
- The Tight-rope Walker and the Sea£40.00 – £52.00
- Dolphins of Brighton West Pier£40.00 – £310.00
- West Pier Rampion Wind Farm Rusted Irons£192.00
- West Pier Rampion Wind Farm Silver Grey£192.00
- Hove Lawns, Two Piers Emerald Skies£192.00
- West Pier irons£40.00
- Marine Parade Brighton Pier£40.00
- Indian Bicycle on the Promenade£40.00
- Hove Esplanade Two Piers Ocean Ocean Blue£40.00
- Down the Steps towards the West Pier£40.00
- West Pier and Palace Pier at Sea Studio£40.00
- Dolphins of Brighton West Pier Midnight Sea£40.00 – £180.00